About the Job
Founded in 1972, Pact is a leading global development organization with operations spanning more than 30 countries across the globe. At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its over 45-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
As the development sector faces significant change and disruption, Pact has adopted a nimble and entrepreneurial approach, innovating to define and uniquely leverage non-traditional opportunities. Pact Ventures was launched to help shape this evolving market by:
- Supporting Pact in bridging the development sector with the public, private and social sectors (i.e., operating at the “tri-sector” intersection)
- Providing a platform to unlock and deploy non-traditional sources of capital for development, including impact investment and private capital
- Developing creative financing mechanisms to sustainably fund Pact’s high-impact, high-outcomes programs, including outcomes-, shared value-, blended finance-based transactions
- Structuring, investing in, and operating self-sustainable social enterprises and ventures focused on solving development issues using market-based forces
Reporting to the Vice President, the Manager will be expected to support the Pact Ventures’ strategy, including engaging Pact’s country offices and program teams to design and execute sustainable funding/financing strategies. The Manager will play a critical role in growing the impact of the Pact Ventures team on both Pact and the development industry.
As a key member of the Pact Ventures team, the Manager is the primary contributor to conceptualizing sustainability opportunities and executing funding/financing vehicles. The role is highly entrepreneurial, with deep exposure to impact investing in the context of development and multi-stakeholder engagements. Core responsibilities include:
- Designing and cultivating non-traditional financing opportunities
- Conducting due diligence on development programs and/or social enterprises to identify readiness for impact investment or shared-value partnerships
- Engaging various stakeholders (e.g., program delivery, country offices, evaluators, private sector, etc) to develop and syndicate funding/financing roadmaps (i.e., path to sustainability for a development program or social enterprise)
- Analyzing how Pact should incorporate and respond to themes/trends in impact capital and development sector
- Structuring and closing partnerships, transactions, and other financing opportunities
- Designing and modeling potential financing vehicles / transaction structures to project cashflows and outcomes
- Managing the transaction process to close, including structuring key terms, and negotiating stakeholder alignment
- Supporting the growth of the Pact Ventures team
- Contributing to Pact Ventures’ thought leadership internally and externally through targeted marketing and communications (e.g., press releases, blog posts, speaking engagements)
- Pro-actively building key Pact Ventures infrastructure, from relationships with impact investors to legal entities needed for execution
- Coaching and developing junior team members
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- 6+ years of experience in a role with significant project leadership and analytical responsibilities in related industries (e.g., development finance, investment banking, management consulting)
- Bachelor’s degree with focus on or exposure to international development and/or finance
- Critical thinker with a can-do approach to problem solving, disaggregating large/complex problems to identify underlying drivers and critical nuances
- Comfort with ambiguity and managing workload given shifting and/or competing priorities
- Highly analytical with strong quantitative and research capabilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including quickly researching and synthesizing unfamiliar topics
- Comfort in conducting complex analysis in Excel and presenting complex concepts in PowerPoint
- Demonstrated passion for social impact and impact investing, particularly the intersection with Pact’s mission and the development sector
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-culturally with collegiality, humility, and respect
- International travel required
- Graduate degree, preferably MBA or dual-degree with an MBA
- Demonstrated experience with impact investment financing vehicles (e.g., guarantee, PRI, impact bonds, demand dividend, project financing, etc)
- Experience in international development (e.g., program delivery) and/or in geographies where Pact operates (e.g., Africa, Southeast Asia)
Please apply at http://pactworld.force.com/careers/VanaHCM__Job_Detail?Id=a33f1000001OMIq
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined in Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.