About the Job
We're hiring! The Social Venture Fund at Mercy Corps is hiring a Principal in East Africa to expand our seed/early stage investment portfolio in the region.
The full job description and application instructions are available here…
Authorization to work in Uganda and/or Kenya is required. Experience in East Africa is strongly preferred.
Knowledge and Experience
- Proven track record with 3-5 years of progressive leadership positions in management consulting, investment, or portfolio management. Alternatively, long-term hands-on operational experience as a founder or executive team member of a startup in an emerging market or challenging context.
- Experience with impact investing including an understanding of innovative funding structures, fundraising for social ventures, and existing strong relationships in the East African impact investment community. Strong preference for candidates that have previously led and closed impact investment deals (managed the whole process from pipeline development to closing).
- Proven experience working with individuals and teams to quickly understand a business model, and jointly identify and prioritise key challenges.
- Strong financial modeling, business planning, due diligence, competitive analysis, and valuation skills and experience.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to get things done.
- Strong strategic thinking skills. Able to navigate complex environments and develop a clear, focused, and ambitious vision.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Mercy Corps is a leading global organisation powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In conflict, in disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps’ Social Venture Fund (SVF) is a seed and early-stage impact investment fund launched in 2015. We invest capital and provide a platform to accelerate the growth of disruptive startup businesses that have the potential to positively impact millions. We believe that connecting our portfolio companies to Mercy Corps’ programs, staff and expertise will accelerate their growth and impact.
We’ve closed 12 investments to date across East Africa, Latin America, and Indonesia in the following sectors: agriculture, financial services, youth employment and last-mile logistics & distribution. For more information, please refer to our Fund Prospectus, 2017 Annual Impact Report and Medium Blog.