About the Job
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Legal Counsel will work within a small legal team based in London, supporting and collaborating with investment and operations teams in London and across AgDevCo’s 8 offices in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Providing support and advice on AgDevCo’s debt, quasi-equity and equity investments in eight Sub-Saharan African jurisdictions including managing and coordinating advice from external counsel
- Supporting the legal team and the AgDevCo group in relation to a variety of legal, regulatory and compliance risks
- Advising on governance and policy matters
- Advising on a wide range of commercial issues
- Contributing to papers for executive/investment committees on the legal aspects of transactions
- Assisting UK and country offices with statutory filing requirements
- Qualified as a solicitor in the UK, with at least four years post-qualification experience
- Experience advising on corporate M&A/private equity transactions
- Strong team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and to manage priorities and work to challenging deadlines
- Flexible and eager to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Ability to explain legal issues and risks to investment teams, and recommend appropriate courses of action
- Passion for international development
- In-house experience
- Experience within an international organisation
- Legal experience in sub-Saharan Africa
- Experience with debt investments
Please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would be suitable for the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Legal Counsel”. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unfortunately unable to respond to all applications individually. If you do not hear from us within 10 working days, your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
All applicants should be eligible to live and work in the UK.
“In submitting this application, I agree that AgDevCo may collect the personal data it contains and use that data for current and future recruitment. In the event that my application is unsuccessful, I understand that my details will be securely destroyed after six months.”
Established in 2009, AgDevCo is a social impact investor and project developer operating exclusively in the agriculture sector in Africa. Our mission is to reduce poverty and improve food security. We do this by investing in farming, food processing and marketing enterprises, which have the potential to make a major positive social impact. We also provide technical support and specialist agricultural advice to management teams. Over the past five years, AgDevCo has grown to become a leading investor in the African SME agriculture sector, with headquarters in London and offices in Mozambique, Tanzania, Ghana, Malawi, Zambia and Uganda. We have committed over $75 million in 50 companies since our inception.