About the Job
SUMMER ASSOCIATE – PORTFOLIO (ROUNDTABLE)
Acumen is looking for Summer Associates to support the work of our Pakistan Portfolio team. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone with strong financial analysis skills, exceptional drive, and a proven commitment to global development.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $113 million in 108 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
The Portfolio team is responsible for finding, vetting, and managing investments in game-changing social enterprises that serve the poor in our four portfolio sectors: health, energy, agriculture, and education. The Portfolio team also provides management support to existing companies in our portfolio through tracking key performance metrics and hands-on relationship management.
The Pakistan Portfolio team is planning to organize a round table conference on Energy in Pakistan. The goal is to connect the key stakeholders, both from the private and the public sector, to discuss key issues pertinent to the off-grid sector in Pakistan and think through how to address the key challenges hampering the uptake of the sector. The Summer Associate will be expected to spearhead the process including, planning, execution and compilation of key take-aways/learnings in the form of a white paper/thesis.
More specifically, you may have the opportunity to:
- Consolidate global learnings of Acumen from investments across the various sub-sectors in Energy
- Consolidate the key learnings and trends in the off-grid Energy space in Pakistan
- Engage with the key stakeholders from the Energy space in Pakistan to gain valuable insights and involve them as part of the conference
- Take the lead in organizing and managing the entire programme
- Formulate a white paper – highlighting the summary and the key takeaways from the conference
Qualifications & Characteristics
- First year MBA or equivalent candidate
- Ability to take initiative with research and analysis and produce valuable results
- Strong writing skills
The ideal candidate will also meet the following criteria:
- Familiarity with the social enterprise sector, ideally with a focus on clean-tech energy
- Academic training or work experience focused on early stage investing, entrepreneurship and/or startups
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect
- Solid operational skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work
- Moral Imagination: The humility to see the world as it is, and the audacity to imagine the world as it could be. It also includes but is not limited to the following:
o Displaying high level of empathy in all relationships and encounters
o Possessing deep self-awareness and ability to identify own strengths and weaknesses
o Actively listening and focusing on hearing what others are saying
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- A sense of humor (really)
PKR 25,000 per month for up to 3 months
Please follow this link to apply: http://bit.ly/2Bp7aby
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $111 million in 104 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.