About the Job
Civic Builders sits at the nexus of community development and education. Dedicated to giving every child the chance to attend a great school, Civic Builders partners with the nation's best educators to finance and build public charter school buildings. Our model for school development has earned numerous accolades and has been adopted by other nonprofit organizations across the country. We are an experienced team of real estate, finance, and development professionals dedicated to delivering inspirational educational facilities at affordable rates.
We are a highly entrepreneurial organization that is growing quickly and our dedicated and talented team has positioned us to:
- Invest more than $600M into low-income communities: we have developed a million square feet of real estate, representing 27 schools that serve over 11,000 students in the highest need neighborhoods, such as East Harlem, the South Bronx, Bedford-Stuyvesant, and Newark, NJ.
- Receive $78M of New Markets Tax Credits over three award rounds and access funding from the U.S. Department of Education.
- Partner with a leading national K-12 foundation on a $100M loan fund to provide low-interest capital, at an increased scale, to charter schools that are creating and expanding facilities.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
Civic Builders believes that diversity, in all its forms, enriches society and our organization. Because we support students in the highest need neighborhoods, we have a particular charge to understand our schools and their communities. When our staff, board, and partners reflect, value, and embrace the voices and perspectives of those most impacted by what we do, we have a deeper understanding and connection to their needs and more effectively achieve our aspiration of improving lives, revitalizing communities, and helping children receive the education they deserve.
To learn more about Civic Builders, please visit www.civicbuilders.org.
We are seeking a creative, strategic, and entrepreneurial community development leader to join our team as the Vice President of Finance and Lending. In this significant leadership role, the Vice President will work with both internal and external stakeholders to implement creative solutions for borrowing and lending to public charter schools.
The Vice President will focus on leading our financing activities, particularly driving the implementation of a new $100M loan fund, including origination and underwriting; growing our relationships with funders and financing partners; and ensuring the effective deployment of our New Markets Tax Credits. The Vice President of Finance and Lending will report to Civic Builders’ CEO and Co-Founder, David Umansky, and serve as part of the organization’s collaborative leadership team, with responsibility for supervising two direct reports. As Civic Builders continues to expand our portfolio and develop new products, the Vice President for Finance and Lending will play a significant role in continuous, strategic improvement efforts so that we can continue to fulfill our mission. This is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial finance professional to join a growing, mission-driven organization that is making a tangible impact for students and families in under-resourced communities.
- Execute on business development strategy for Civic Builders’ lending services
- Oversee Civic Builders’ financing work, including activities across multiple products such as New Markets Tax Credits, CDFI Bond Guarantee Program, and tax-exempt bonds
- Manage finance structuring for new projects and refinancing of Civic Builders’ existing real estate assets
- Lead credit and underwriting processes, including further development of credit policies and procedures; review and analyze tenant and prospective tenant financials
- Build and maintain relationships with CDFI lenders, commercial banks, and other capital market partners and relevant stakeholders to support our continued growth and improve borrowing costs
- Collaborate with Civic Builders’ Strategy and Leadership teams to identify and cultivate opportunities to support growth within its financial services offerings
- Directly supervise a team of two that is growing, coaching toward high performance and growth in their professional tracks
Your Skill Set:
As the incoming Vice President of Finance and Lending you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You bring 10+ years of professional experience in finance, with specific experience in lending, bonds, or other financing transactions, including real-estate transactions. You demonstrate a high degree of familiarity with financial analysis, accounting, and audit principles.
- Your community development lending or borrowing background includes experience with nonprofit public charter schools, and you are passionate about Civic Builders’ mission to provide access to inspirational educational facilities.
- You are motivated by business development goals and building authentic and long-term relationships with potential borrowers and lenders, and you can convey the potential of different products and solutions to a range of stakeholders in a compelling way. Your excellent communications, interpersonal skills, and strong professional judgment position you to be an effective external representative for Civic Builders.
- You are an innovator and a strategic thinker who can guide an idea into implementation, and you have successfully led or participated in developing and/or implementing new product offerings in a financial services environment.
- You thrive in high-growth, fast-paced organizational cultures, with the ability to build out new initiatives and navigate ambiguous situations.
- You approach your work with flexibility and a commitment to teamwork, and you are excited about working with our small, smart, and ambitious team. An effective staff leader, you have previously managed staff members and helped them grow in their roles.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree; you may also have an MBA or similar advanced degree.
How to Join Our Team:
Civic Builders offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Civic Builders is an equal opportunity employer and as such, we do not discriminate against any team member or candidate because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by law. We encourage all to apply and we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to David Umansky at the following link: http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1L00000otNgq&tSource=
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About Commongood Careers:
Civic Builders has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Vice President of Finance and Lending. Commongood Careers is a mission-driven search firm that supports the hiring needs of high-impact nonprofits. With an approach that leverages robust talent networks, recruitment and search management expertise, and a deep understanding of our clients’ mission and culture, we help organizations secure the talent they need to create greater social impact. Since our founding in 2005, Commongood Careers has led more than 800 searches at 300 organizations in 33 states, making us one of the most experienced and dedicated nonprofit search firms in the country. Learn more about nonprofit job opportunities at Commongood Careers.