About the Job
RS Group is seeking a Hong Kong-based Director of Investment, who will be responsible for overseeing RS Group’s entire investment portfolio. This person will work closely with RS Group’s Managing Director and along side the executive team in Hong Kong as well as the group’s overseas advisors. This role will be an excellent opportunity for an experienced finance professional who is ready to take responsibility for a sophisticated multi-asset portfolio and is interested in further shaping it with the goal of contributing to defined environmental and social goals in close coordination with the other activities at the family office.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Responsible for a wide range of investment activities alongside the executive team in Hong Kong and overseas advisors, including:
Investment Portfolio Management (65%)
- Active oversight and responsibility for the successful management of existing diversified investment portfolios (e.g. asset allocation, liquidity planning, rebalancing, capital calls, manager evaluation, selection and monitoring of underlying investments).
- Work closely with the Managing Director, Investment advisor, COO as well as external service providers.
- Monitoring and reporting of existing investments (mainly listed equities, fixed income, private equity funds and select direct investments).
- Leading communication and preparation of materials for weekly team meetings, investment committee, board members and internal administrative teams.
- Leading annual review of underlying fund managers in portfolio, bi-monthly investment calls and bi-annual internal team meetings.
- Representing RS Group (participant or speaking capacity) in ongoing networking meetings and events with fund managers, entrepreneurs, organizations to stay updated on latest product universe and trends.
Strategy & Research (35%)
- Participate in designing impact strategies and implementation (utilizing both investment and philanthropic capital) in the portfolio.
- Support RS Group’s special projects and strategy development (e.g. direct investments, advocacy initiatives).
- Participate or be exposed to RS Group’s overall activities (including philanthropic and advocacy initiatives)
- Provide research and analytical support for evaluation, due diligence and analysis (incorporating sustainability criteria) of potential new investments across asset classes and geographies.
- Support ad hoc assignments.
Knowledge Management & Convening (5%)
- Keeping content up-to-date (including minute taking, budgets, update contact list, filing of monthly reporting fact sheets etc.).
- Assist in coordinating routine activities including bi-monthly investment calls, bi-annual team meetings, internal review and reporting materials.
- Participate in team’s weekly meetings (involving discussions across investment, philanthropy and special initiatives).
Development opportunities include:
- Develop a career in the family office world by taking on a management role and responsibility for a global investment portfolio
- Gain extensive exposure to a broad network of investment professionals (including investment managers, intermediaries, foundations, family offices etc.).
- Get acclimated to a wide spectrum of investment products and acquire the requisite know-how on how to diligence, vet and monitor these strategies.
- Participation in local and overseas conferences, workshops and events to stay updated on the latest trends and developments.
Skills & Requirements:
- Experience and comfort with portfolio level investing and fund management (monitoring, assessing and reporting).
- At ease with taking care of complex administrative tasks (including repetitive ones).
- Experience and ability to work independently and with small teams.
- Excellent project management skills with an attention to detail and the ability to multi-task; Comfortable in working within an unstructured small-team environment and flexible to manage a variety of projects in a timely and disciplined manner.
- Responsible, motivated and mature with good interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written). Able to work independently and proactively ask questions.
- An analytical mindset, both qualitative and quantitative. Can think broadly with an ability to switch between strategic and practical thinking.
- Interest in sustainable/SRI/impact investing; experience is a plus, but not critical if strong desire to learn.
Education and experience
- Min. 10+ years prior working experience, mainly in Finance (Asset Management, Corporate Finance, Private Wealth Management). Previous experience in a family office environment would be a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or above (CFA is a plus).
- Good command of written and spoken English and Chinese.
- Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Interested parties please submit your CV, a brief cover letter along with your expected salary and available start date to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
RS Group is a Hong Kong-based family office with a mission “to create a paradigm shift in societal values and priorities so that economic growth will support, instead of jeopardising, human development and environmental sustainability.” The group implements a ‘Blended Value Approach, utilising a variety of investments, loans and grants to generate social, environmental and financial returns.
RS Group launched its Impact Report in May 2016 (http://report.rsgroup.asia), and continues to be an active player in Asia'a Impact Investing sector.