About the Job
AgDevCo is developing a 5,300+ha irrigated farming hub at Babator in northern Ghana. This includes a series of commercial farming companies, an ingrower scheme and plans for an outgrower scheme. The core objective of the role (~70%) is to support this project. The Environmental, Social and Impact Specialist will have day to day responsibility for all E&S and community issues reporting to the portfolio ESG Manager and project executive team and support AgDevCo’s M&E programme, reporting to the Impact Manager.
The post holder will implement the project ESAP and E&S aspects of project development including management of stakeholder engagement and livelihood restoration programmes. This will involve working closely with the project development team, agronomist and Community Liaison Officer. This is a roll-your-sleeves up position where you will be expected to take ownership for designing and implementing programmes of work. The position will require a minimum of 25% time on the Babator site. In addition to the core Babator project role, there will also be the opportunity to support the other portfolio ESG and Impact activities with the potential to visit other countries of AgDevCo operation.
- Degree in relevant social science or environmental specialism and demonstrable track record (4 yrs +) of practical hands on implementation in line with national law and good international industry practice (GIIP) in Environmental and Social issues, especially the IFC Performance Standards and monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience of IFC and GIIP aligned:
- impact monitoring and evaluation;
- social baseline data collection, community needs analysis and development planning;
- stakeholder engagement;
- economic displacement and IFC PS5 in livelihoods restoration including implementation; and
- community health, safety and security including influx management.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively, understand and engage project affected people.
- An understanding of gender issues in a development context.
- Proven ability to work safely in remote field locations with limited support.
- Proven responsibility for day to day management of social studies and delivery.
Valued additional skills and experience include:
- Experience working in Ghana and understanding of traditional land title and rights systems.
- Proficient in speaking, reading and writing in English and local languages of Ghana.
- Impact Investment knowledge and experience.
Please send your CV and a cover letter, explaining why you would be suitable for the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Babator ESIS”.
Established in 2009, AgDevCo is a social impact investor and project developer operating exclusively in the agriculture sector in Africa. Our mission is to reduce poverty and improve food security. We do this by investing in farming, food processing and marketing enterprises, which have the potential to make a major positive social impact. We also provide technical support and specialist agricultural advice to management teams. Over the past five years, AgDevCo has grown to become a leading investor in the African SME agriculture sector, with headquarters in London and offices in Mozambique, Tanzania, Ghana, Malawi, Zambia and Uganda. We have committed over $75 million in 50 companies since our inception.