About the Job
U.S. Impact Investing Alliance
The Special Assistant (“SA”) will serve as an essential team member of the U.S. Impact Investing Alliance (“the Alliance”) which is being incubated at the Ford Foundation and is funded by a range of philanthropies.
The Alliance’s vision is to place measurable social and environmental impact, along with financial return and risk, at the center of all investment decisions. The Alliance seeks to:
- Increase awareness of impact investing in the United States
- Foster deployment of and demand for impact capital across asset classes globally
- Partner with stakeholders, including government, to build the impact investing ecosystem
The SA is a highly organized, effective, and articulate administrator as well as a proactive and strong researcher, representing the Alliance at the highest level. The primary role of the SA is to support the Executive Director of the Alliance and the team. The SA duties will include heavy scheduling, domestic and international travel planning, calendar management, conference call organization, and expense report management for the Executive Director. Responsibilities will also include internal and external event planning and preparation of PowerPoint documents for meetings. A key part of the role will include impact investing research and other special projects as assigned. The SA will work closely with colleagues who report to the Executive Director, with select Ford Foundation staff, and with the Alliance’s fiscal sponsor.
- BA/BS plus at least 5 years’ experience (or equivalent combination of education an experience) supporting executives at the highest level, representing the office in high profile settings in any given environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computer applications, including at a minimum Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), as well as travel and expense reporting software
- Experience managing financial, detailed, and confidential information with the highest level of accuracy and sensitivity
- Experienced in taking notes in executive and other meetings, and managing appropriate follow up
- Proficient in utilizing online information resources and data tools for information retrieval and data entry; capacity to undertake internet-based research
- Excellent proactive planning skills, attention to detail, and organizational skills; able to self-manage, anticipate problems and recommend solutions, and prioritize multiple assignments and deadlines with little or no supervision
- Demonstrated initiative, resourcefulness, and sense of urgency in problem-solving and achieving results
- Intellectually curious, responsible, and accountable; seeking to be an engaged member of a diverse team
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, with an ability to appropriately interpret and organize information, and manage both telephone and in-person communications tactfully and professionally at all times
- A highly effective ambassador for the Alliance, both with other areas of the Foundation and with external contacts
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a ‘can-do,’ ‘customer service’ attitude which contributes to building morale and team spirit; an active listener, with an ability to interface and coordinate with large and diverse group of internal and external contacts
- Willingness and desire to take on additional responsibilities as the strategies and goals of the Alliance develop
ALIGNMENT TO CULTURE AND VALUES:
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and core values of openness, collaboration, equity and trust.
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues
- Action-oriented and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and in teams
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at The Ford Foundation, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.