About the Job
Flat World Partners is seeking to hire an Associate for its proprietary impact measurement methodology, the External Rate of Return (ERR), within the investment team for its New York office. With direct mentorship from the experienced FWP team, the intern will gain valuable experience in the field of impact investing.
We seek a candidate who can commit at least 2.5 days per week. We are flexible regarding remote work, but at the beginning of the internship we prefer that the intern works with the team in person. The candidate should be willing to commit to a 10 week internship.
- Help refine the ERR methodology as a measurement of the social impact of private companies and SRI (Socially Responsible Investment) funds, across investment sectors and asset classes (including hedge funds, PE, and VC)
- Help develop the ERR as a scalable tool for those looking to measure the impact of investments
- Execute projects using ERR, taking ownership of client deliverables
- Produce business development materials, such as PowerPoint presentations and white papers, for the ERR
- Monitor and advise the investment team on external trends in impact investing and impact measurement and make recommendations of new concepts and solutions
- Ensure that best practices in benchmarking, peer analysis, and other assessment tools are implemented and used to facilitate methodological improvements.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 1-5 years of experience in sustainable development, consulting, econometrics, or finance
- Strong interest and/or knowledge in impact measurement, ideally with knowledge of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and common types of environmental and social impact
- Passion for advancing the field of impact investing
- Strong desire to develop our impact measurement methodology into a scalable tool
- Strong Excel and Powerpoint proficiency (essential); ability to use Pages, InDesign preferred
- Experience in cost benefit analysis techniques and financial modelling is preferred, but not essential
- Strong presentation skills and writing ability
- Ability to work well and collaborate with others
- Highly developed organizational and analytical skills
- Highly proactive with a strong desire to work within a startup environment
- Keen attention to detail, preferably with experience in a client-facing role
Please note that this is an unpaid internship. We hire full-time associates exclusively from our intern pool. Applicants are encouraged to work with their career management offices in regard to stipends for internships at startups and impact investing firms.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and answers to the following questions:
1. What does social/environmental impact mean to you?
2. What is a hack you’re particularly proud of?
Flat World Partners
Flat World Partners is a next generation investment advisory firm, solely focused on Impact Investments. We take a global, active and transparent approach to our investment strategy; seeking out the best in class opportunities that meet the needs of clients. We work alongside your investment team to build customized impact portfolios. We’re constantly talking to the impact market, diligencing managers, products and direct investments to help you drive your business for generations to come.