About the Job
Director of Talent
Acumen is hiring a Director of Talent, a professional who is passionate about leading a global talent function and building an extraordinary organization that continues to drive innovation in the social sector.
Acumen’s mission is to change the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas, which begins with investing in our own team to make this change happen. You are someone who cares deeply about solving the problems of poverty – and who knows that if we can solve these problems, we must.
You bring more than passion to the role: you have the grit and resilience to do this work and have likely lived and worked in at least one of the regions where Acumen invests. You are a strong coach with an ability to diagnose challenges in a team. You are a problem-solver above all else, a direct and candid communicator, and a thoughtful and diplomatic change agent who understands there are tensions to balance in this kind of diverse, global organization. You are an expert in understanding organizational dynamics, and creating the right structures to address challenges that are inherent in a geographically and functionally diverse team.
Your passion for building great organizations and cultures manifests in your tireless ability to coach our experienced and emerging leaders who are working to solve a range of tactical and strategic business issues every day, operating in a resource-constrained environment.
You are a natural manager able to direct our Talent team and senior leaders through complex and changing environments. You are eager for the challenge of shaping the future of this organization as one of the closest advisors to our CEO, President and global leadership team.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $106 million in 96 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
About the Position
The key attributes required for success in this role are:
Expertise in cross-cultural senior leadership coaching. Whether working in small or large organizations, you have demonstrated experience in influencing and supporting senior management teams. You are strong at diagnosing individual and team challenges and partnering with leaders to address these challenges. You are a confidante and advisor to leaders and have experience understanding the dynamics of an entrepreneurial organization, as well as a global/country office structure. Likely having spent time living and working internationally, you have a natural ability to work across cultures to connect with our Country Directors to help them integrate our Talent strategy in each of our geographies.
- Strategic business skills and commercial approach to Talent matters. You are a business partner at the core, working with the senior team to solve their organizational challenges that will unleash Acumen’s human potential to make a greater impact in the world. Linking our Talent work to Acumen’s organizational goals and mission, and doing that efficiently, is at the heart of every decision.
- Expertise in the range of core human resources functions. In addition to your greatest strengths in coaching, organizational design and succession planning, you will also have a solid knowledge base across the range of HR practices, such as senior level recruitment, performance management, employee engagement, employment law, basic compensation plans, international benefits administration and training approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to build and scale organizations and leadership teams. Acumen has strong investments and programs in multiple geographies, and the opportunity today is to ensure we are leveraging the power of our full organization to create change in the world. You have a deep understanding of what type of management and governance structures optimize team performance, learning, collaboration and innovation.
- A deep commitment to our mission. We are looking for a leader with evidence of empathy, passionate curiosity, and a commitment to helping others. You are energized by the intellectual curiosity of your peers and have the humility to recognize all there is to learn from them. You will have a proven commitment to creating social change, which may be been through your involvement in local charities or global initiatives that are meaningful to you.
Acumen offers competitive compensation for the international development sector, commensurate with experience. Compensation includes a base salary, an annual bonus based on achievement of individual and organizational goals, health insurance, and an employer-sponsored defined contribution retirement program.
This role is based in Acumen’s New York office.
Education & Travel
+ Bachelor’s degree is required; a relevant advanced degree is strongly preferred.
+ Eagerness to travel globally to our country offices in Pakistan, India, Kenya, Ghana and Colombia (anticipated 3-5 trips per year).
+ Permanent authorization to work in the United States.
If you have the passion for mission, talent leadership success, international experience and business acumen required for this role, please submit your resume and answers to the following two questions through the Acumen website: http://acumen.org/get-involved/work-with-us/ or directly contact Tory Clarke at our search firm, Bridge Partners:
1. Please identify a leadership team you’ve led through a period of organizational structural change and what the drivers were of that change. Please explain the role you played in designing the most appropriate management structure, what challenges the organization had in adopting the change and what your most critical steps were in making it a success.
2. What steps have you taken to make Talent a priority for senior business leaders, who are operating in a fast-paced demanding business environment with many competing interests?
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. The organization invests patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $101 million in 92 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the United States. They are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In the last three years, the Acumen team has grown almost 50% and expanded to two new geographies. They have an expanding footprint of leadership programs, a global portfolio team managing a diverse set of early stage companies focused on serving the poor, and a best-in-class approach to understanding impact. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.