About the Job
With backing from the MasterCard Foundation, AgDevCo has established a Smallholder Development Unit (SDU). The SDU will help AgDevCo clients to develop equitable “outgrower schemes” which link smallholder farmers to profitable markets.
The SDU will help introduce tried and tested technologies (e.g. conservation farming techniques, improved inputs, farmer credit) as well as recent technological innovations (e.g. mobile phone information and payment systems) to help boost farmer productivity and incomes.
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) specialist will lead the SDU’s evaluation, reporting and external communications activities for this ambitious five-year programme. The mid-level managerial role will be based in London with frequent travel to Africa and international conferences.
The candidate will have experience of designing and operating M&E systems in an African development context, ideally in the agriculture sector. They will have first-class writing and presentation skills, with an ability to synthesise results, lessons learned and best practice for dissemination through various media.
- Implement the comprehensive SDU M&E plan, with regular internal and external reporting
- Conduct “deep dive” evaluations of a sample of SDU projects to assess the direct and indirect benefits on smallholder farmers and local communities over the medium- to long-term.
- Assess the case for targeted grants to support installation of IT systems and related infrastructure to support M&E collection efforts at the client level
- Manage external consultants and service providers to work with AgDevCo clients in the field
- Lead the SDU’s external communications and facilitate SDU knowledge sharing among partners (organise learning workshops) and AgDevCo teams.
Skills and experience
The successful candidate will have:
- At least three years’ experience in a M&E/ evaluation role in international development, ideally in agriculture
- Experience in working with private sector agribusinesses in Africa is preferred
- A high standard of writing and communication skills
- Experience managing external consultant and service providers
- A genuine passion for international development and an awareness of the trade-offs that such a role entails
Please send your CV and a cover letter with reference “M&E Specialist” to firstname.lastname@example.org explaining why you would be suitable for the role
Established in 2009, AgDevCo is a social impact investor and project developer operating exclusively in the agriculture sector in Africa. Our mission is to reduce poverty and improve food security. We do this by investing in farming, food processing and marketing enterprises, which have the potential to make a major positive social impact. We also provide technical support and specialist agricultural advice to management teams. Over the past five years, AgDevCo has grown to become a leading investor in the African SME agriculture sector, with headquarters in London and offices in Mozambique, Tanzania, Ghana, Malawi, Zambia and Uganda. We have committed over $75 million in 50 companies since our inception.