About the Job
YSB Uganda is looking for a dynamic and self-motivated team member with strong management, organizational and leadership skills to join its small, entrepreneurial team. The position for Investment Manager at YSB Uganda is based in Kampala, Uganda.
Main responsibilities of the Investment Manager
The Investment Manager will report to the Managing Director, work with the rest of the team, and liaise with the teams in YSB’s Headquarters in Germany and its 6 other country offices around the world.
His/her responsibilities include, but will not be limited to:
- Performing due diligence processes for social businesses in our pipeline including validation of the business and financial model, preparation of Review /Investment Committee meetings, determination of financing structure (equity and debt), preparation and negotiation of term sheets and contracts
- Continuous improvements of the due diligence and investment process
He/she will also contribute to
Sourcing and Acceleration
- Developing the Social Business pipeline including sourcing of new Social Business opportunities and initial screening of business plans
- Development and implementation of the accelerator programs, including adaptation of the architecture of the program to the local context, organization of the workshops and the coaching/mentoring of selected entrepreneurs, linking the entrepreneurs to mentors, experts and markets or investors during the program
- Continuous improvement of the accelerator program
- Maintaining relations with Social Businesses in the portfolio, in particular
- Working closely with Social Business Entrepreneurs in the portfolio in order to understand their needs and provide them with on-going support to develop and grow their social businesses
- Ensuring monthly, quarterly and annual reporting is performed by the social businesses in the portfolio, ensuring due escalation of any issues (lack of reporting, underperformance, mission drift)
- Preparation of monthly local and quarterly international portfolio reviews
- Continuous improvement of the portfolio management processes, including reporting and tracking tools to monitor and evaluate the social and financial impact, as well as the processes that ensure that adequate resources are matched to the needs of the entrepreneurs
- Build-up, structure and manage set-up of joint venture initiatives and projects with multinational companies in close cooperation with the Managing Director and counter-part at YSB Global Initiatives and subsequent managing of consultant team working on joint venture projects
- Supporting fund raising activities on a local level, such as drafting of Funder proposals as well as supporting on funder and donor reporting
- Participation in global work streams on a variety of topics contributing to the development of YSB globally i.e. working with team members in YSB Global Initiatives (Germany) and other country teams to support on a diverse range of topics including: development of new tools, processes and products, impact assessment, research etc.
- Close collaboration with the Program Director (based in Germany) on any overall project topic
- Close collaboration with the International Investment and Portfolio team (based in Germany) on Fund related topics
- Any other activities dealing with the day-to-day or long-term business continuity and serving the purpose of advancing Yunus Social Business
An ideal candidate should display the following qualities, skills, and experience:
- A Master’s degree and 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in Strategy consulting – experience with SMEs is valued
- Investment Banking, Private Equity, Venture Capital or Impact Investing
- SME and economic inclusion programs of NGOs or Developing Agencies
- Previous entrepreneurial experience is highly valued
- Numeracy, critical thinking, evidence-based analysis, efficiency and thoroughness, demonstrated by excellent academic qualifications;
- Warm, ‘can-do’ and hands-on attitude with a strong team spirit in supporting the entire team
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced loosely structured environment and ability to adapt quickly as things change
- Comfortable working with an entrepreneurial and international team
- Diplomacy, negotiating skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- An excellent understanding of “social business” and how this is related to other concepts, e.g. social innovation, social entrepreneurship, inclusive business, impact investing…;
- Familiarity and comfort with Microsoft Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Google Apps or other similar technologies
- Willingness to travel outside of Kampala, including to rural areas, as well as international travel on occasions
- Fluency in written and oral English is a must.
If you are interested in this position, please send a CV with 3 references and a cover letter until 31st July by using the form on our website www.yunussb.com/jobs/. Tell us about how you match up to the characteristics we are looking for and why you would be a great addition to our team.
We hope for your understanding that, due to the many applications we receive, we can only contact shortlisted applicants. Thank you.
If this job isn’t for you, but you know someone who might be a perfect fit, please forward him/her this link.
Yunus Social Business
Yunus Social Business is a non-profit venture fund. We believe that business can be used to solve human problems. We turn donations into investments in social businesses that provide employment, education, healthcare, clean water and clean energy to over a million people worldwide.
Founded in 2011 by Saskia Bruysten, Sophie Eisenmann and Nobel Peace Laureate Muhammad Yunus, our mission is to promote social business as a sustainable alternative to long-term aid, bridging the gap between business and philanthropy.
Our social business venture fund covers 7 regions and our in-country teams run regular workshops and social business accelerators for local entrepreneurs. We invest in promising social businesses providing them with patient finance as well as long term business support.