About the Job
Investor Relations Associate – Cultivation
Job Title: Investor Relations Associate – Cultivation
Location: Cambridge, MA
Reports to: Investor Relations Officer
Root Capital seeks a motivated and relationship-oriented person to join a growing team focused on fundraising from individual donors. This position will support the "front-end" of donor relationship management: prospect research, outreach, cultivation, and moves management. It will involve a significant amount of writing, proposals and reports as well as email and other written communications. This individual will play a key role in managing Root’s donor information and pipeline in Salesforce, our CRM. We are looking for someone who is curious about people and passionate about making and helping to sustain and build relationships and connections that help to advance Root’s mission of growing rural prosperity.
Mission and History of Root Capital
Root Capital serves agricultural businesses that connect smallholder farmers to world markets. When these businesses grow, they become engines of impact that transform their communities. They increase incomes, create jobs, preserve ecosystems, empower women and give young people the opportunity to lead. We are unconventional problem solvers. We are humanitarians and environmentalists, philanthropists and investors, farmers and feminists.
We provide capital, deliver financial training, and strength market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses. Since 1999, Root Capital has disbursed more than $1 billion in credit to 632 businesses, representing over 1.2 million smallholder farmers. Root Capital’s clients produce dozens of different agricultural products, from coffee, cocoa, and cashews, to staple grains, to wild-harvested products like natural gums and shea butter.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.
Working with Root Capital
Our team members work hard to tackle the challenges inherent in changing the world for the better, so we strive to cultivate an environment in which it feels great to work. Working for Root Capital you can expect to enjoy the following:
- Diverse and dynamic team: With staff based in the United States, Latin America, East Africa, and West Africa, our team is highly collaborative, and we regularly consult with one another to gain expertise or a new perspective.
- Flexibility: Once a week, avoid the commute and join your team from the comfort of your home via videoconference.
- Wellness: Work for an organization that cares about the whole you. Both offices contain showers and changing rooms, so you can bike to work, take a fitness class near the office, or go for a jog during lunch.
- Dress: Dress in the way that makes you feel most productive, from business casual to jeans.
- Coffee: Did we mention the coffee? We take it very seriously; it’s high quality and always available!
- Prospect Research & Pipeline Management (40%)
a. Lead on proactive prospect research, including preparing profiles, meeting dossiers & recommended engagement plans for senior relationship managers.
b. Identify and lead on new strategies to expand database of potential prospects
c. Collaborate with Stewardship Associate to screen and profile existing donors for cultivation and stewardship
d. Collaborate with Executive Office to support prospect work of CEO
e. Use WealthEngine and other search tools; opportunity to research and recommend new tools
- Writing & Communication: (20%)
a. Write and edit concept notes, proposals, reports related to major donor cultivation.
b. Draft email correspondence for Executive Leadership Team and other senior staff leading donor relationships
c. Communicate directly with donors as needed for meeting coordination, etc.
d. Collaborate with team to support donor site visits, meeting logistics, etc.
- Moves Management/Strategy: (15%)
a. Contribute to strategy sessions on engagement plans for particular donors ("moves management")
b. Track and organize moves management in Salesforce, using existing reports and developing new tools and reports as needed in collaboration with team and Salesforce Administrator
- Administration (15%)
a. Support Executive Vice President of Investor Relations and Communications
i. Prepare for meetings with donors
ii. Support meeting scheduling, track required moves management of donors, draft emails and other written communications as appropriate
iii. Work with outside travel agency to arrange travel (1-2 trips per month)
b. Collaborate with Executive Office team on shared meetings and travel as needed
- Content Development: (10%)
a. Collaborate with Communications and Investor Relations teams to identify content and engagement needs and create collateral and events to meet those needs.
b. Liaise with regionally based colleagues to collect insights and stories that will be of interest to donors, and event to connect donors directly with colleagues.
Qualifications and Skills
- College Degree
- 2+ years of relevant work experience, ideally in a fundraising position or similar role (sales, business development, etc.) that required teamwork, interfacing with a wide range of individuals, and working towards concrete outcomes
- Excellent writing skills, experience writing in a fundraising similar non-academic context
- Knowledge of effective relationship management practices and fundraising strategy, as well as willingness to seek out resources and ongoing learning on the topic
- Relevant research experience (knowledge of Wealth Engine and similar research tools preferred).
- Experience digesting research results and determining concrete recommendations and effective summaries for senior staff audiences
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM preferred
Root Capital is a nonprofit social investment fund whose mission is to grow rural prosperity in poor, environmentally vulnerable places in Africa, Latin America, and Asia by lending capital, delivering financial training and strengthening market connections for small and growing agricultural businesses. Root Capital clients include associations and private businesses that help create sustainable livelihoods by aggregating the products of hundreds, and often thousands, of farmers. Since our launch in 1999, we have provided more than $900 million in credit to over 600 small and growing agricultural businesses. Root Capital envision a thriving financial market serving agricultural businesses that generate long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability for small-scale farmers and their communities around the world. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Root Capital currently has associated offices in Costa Rica, Guatemala, Mexico, Peru, Senegal, and Kenya.