About the Job
Business Finance Fellows support Alterna’s permanent team in the “cultivation” process targeted at entrepreneurs and businesses of various sectors and development stages, supporting them in creating and strenghtening their business and financial models. Your specific responsibilities will be tailored to fit your profile and can include:
- Design, implement and validate cultivation strategies, materials, tools and activities to improve the financial acumen of Alterna’s cultivation clients
- Create financial projection models for businesses across sectors
- Support clients in creating integrated growth models based on justifiable expansion strategies, capital needs evaluations, operational planning and other relevant external/internal factors
- Analyze cost structures, pricing strategies and other aspects of financial and strategic management to improve financial sustainability
- Facilitate training on investment search best practices and on the requirements for obtaining enterprise financing at all stages of the enterprise growth cycle
- 1 – 7 years of professional experience as an entrepreneur, a consultant or at an organization in the Finance department
- A degree in Finance or Economics – holding a Master degree is a plus
- Professional working proficiency in both Spanish and English (verbal and writing) • Proficiency in Office suite
- Awareness of cultural identity, patience and strong sense of empathy
- Strong analytical, critical and business judgment, problem-solving skills and outside the box thinking
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility, ability to work autonomously and proactively
- Contextual understanding and appreciation for the difficulties and rewards of working in a developing context
- 6 – 10 month commitment to working on the ground in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Please note that the Fellowship is self-funded by the Fellow and that Alterna consistently looks to the top talent in our fellow pool as our primary source when hiring for long-term paid positions.
In return of this investment of your talent and experience, you will get the unique opportunity to:
- Gain real world exposure to innovative approaches, ideas and best practices in the areas of Impact Investing and social entrepreneurship, including key contextual insights on what the entrepreneurial process consists of in Central America
- Connect with key actors in the social entrepreneurship field through Alterna’s network and open and expand your career trajectory
- Work with an international team of young and passionate professionals
- Be immersed in the vibrancy of Guatemalan culture
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who are looking to dive into problems head first; those who don’t take no for an answer and if you bring a sense of humor and contagious energy we wouldn’t be disappointed. If this is you, please fill out the Fellows Application Form from our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/fellows) and send it with your CV to email@example.com.
As Central America’s first Center for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Alterna aims to catalyze social entrepreneurship from the ground up and envisions a world in which the opportunity to ignite positive change exists in every context.
Alterna’s Fellowship Program is a trampoline for professionals who want to be on the frontline of the emerging fourth sector. Our program is designed to bring top talent from the most innovative international organizations to work with Alterna's leadership team to maximize the organization’s impact and sustainability while getting hands-on experience with local entrepreneurs who otherwise lack access to high-quality business services.