About the Job
- Associate: Rural East Africa (current markets of operation include Tanzania, Ethiopia, Rwanda, and Malawi).
- Manager: Most managers work in our rural offices. In limited instances, certain managers will be based in capital cities with extensive travel (50%).
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job.
Team and Job Description
The mission of the Impact Venture team is to dream up, trial, and scale new businesses to create positive impact for rural families. We invest in “moon shots” and other ambitious ideas to rapidly create impact for tens of millions of families. Examples of new businesses include:
- Retail Chains – we set up a chain of retail stores to sell impactful products to rural families. Retail fronts are a traditional, but effective means for marketing and selling goods to key populations of people.
- Seed Technology – improved seed varieties provide rural households with better returns than just about any other technology. We are running large scale, innovative marketing campaigns at the regional level to raise adoption of the best available seeds on the market. We are also investing in supply side opportunities to increase the quantity of seeds available to farmers.
- Government Services – we are partners with local, regional and national governments to improve the quality and impact of government services for rural families. These partnerships allow us to help deliver critical information and services to hundreds of thousands of families.
- Product Design – we are designing, prototyping, trialing, and producing new products for rural families. Initial categories of products include agricultural tools and household utility products.
We are seeking exceptional individuals to join this early-stage team to help us scale early stage ventures and dream up new opportunities. In general, team members focus on a single business at a time. We try to match team members with their passions as best as possible. Responsibilities for qualified candidates will include:
- Direct Trials and Support Rapid Scale to a Regional or National level. New team members are expected to own key operational functions and run trials to test key questions to help us create businesses which can generate significant impact and grow at a rapid pace.
- Dream Big and Operationlize New Ideas – identify innovations to enhance new business units and contribute to organizational strategy in identifying new opportunities to pursue. Team members are expected to prioritize new ideas and figure out how to translate the best ideas into live trials and operations.
- Build and Manage a Team – hire, develop, and lead a team to effectively execute in the field. To grow fast, Associate and Managers need to be capable of hiring and leading large teams in short periods of time.
- Coordinate with External Partners – manage relationships with key partners who are relevant to our work. Partners could include executives at seed companies, representatives from solar companies, key officials in government ministries, etc.
Preferred Start Date
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance, immunizations, flights, housing.
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.
We are seeking ambitious young professionals with 2 to 5 years of work experience, and a demonstrated long-term passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 3 – 6+ years of work experience.
- Demonstrated passion for, and preferably experience in, cultivating and developing new ideas and opportunities. We want people who are entrepreneurs at heart.
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work
- Top-performing academic background.
- Independence and ownership. Associate and Managers will be expected to operate and grow operations with moderate oversight. We want team members who thrive with a lot of independence.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service.
- A willingness to commit to living in rural areas of East Africa. The ideal candidate will have at least one year demonstrated experience working in the developing world, although this is not a strict requirement.
- Ability to cook / laugh – desirable.
- Language: English required.
Apply online – http://grnh.se/5rbco61
One Acre Fund
More than 75% of the world's poor are smallholder farmers, representing the largest and most uniform group of poor people in the world. Serving farmers in Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, and Tanzania, One Acre Fund is a growing social enterprise that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential. Instead of giving handouts, One Acre Fund invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a complete "service bundle" that includes financing for seed and fertilizer, delivery, training, and market facilitation to maximize profits from harvest sales. Our program is proven impactful: on average, farmers working with One Acre Fund realize a 50%+ increase in crop yields in a single season, giving them a surplus harvest they can sell to make other investments. We measure success in our ability to make farmers more prosperous and we have laser-like focus on generating better lives for the people that we serve.