About the Job
AlphaMundi is looking to hire an In-House Legal Counsel, starting on a trial basis as of July 2017. The Counsel shall be based in Nairobi, and will report to AlphaMundi’s regional Director in Nairobi.
The Counsel will:
- Participate in the investment process, including but not limited to conducting legal due diligence on pipeline and portfolio companies, drafting or reviewing investment and collateral agreements, analysing governance structures, and reviewing relevant regulatory frameworks for pipeline and portfolio companies as well as the regional investment vehicles and other entities related to AlphaMundi;
- Monitor relevant regulations and tax policies in AlphaMundi's regional markets and sectors of operations, and provide quarterly updates to the AlphaMundi team;
- Regulatory filings for regional entities related to AlphaMundi, including our investment vehicles, as well as advisory on internal governance and compliance matters, and liaise with relevant tax advisors when necessary;
- Board secretariat for regional AlphaMundi entities and their related investment vehicles;
Candidates should have the following profile:
- 4-year university degree, with Bar qualification a plus;
- 2-4 years of legal counsel experience in the financial industry, preferably in fund or venture capital management;
- Experience in Africa a requirement, i.e. being from/currently living in the region;
- Preferably with operational exposure to the renewable energy and/or agriculture sector;
- Strong legal acumen including regulatory requirements compliance, tax optimisation, and legal risk mitigation;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Fluent in English, with a command of local East African languages a plus;
- Demonstrated commitment to AlphaMundi’s mission and impact investing;
- Strong interpersonal skills with a good aptitude for pro-active communication and transparency; patient and perseverant;
- Entrepreneurial team-player with the ability to work independently in Nairobi for periods of time;
- Willingness to travel throughout East Africa as needed;
- A sense of humour
We offer a fair compensation package with enhanced terms after the first year of employment, and an entrepreneurial opportunity to work in a small and hard-working team of highly qualified investment professionals.
To apply for this position please submit both a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Please title the documents “lastname.firstname_resume” and “lastname.firstname_cover letter” and provide 3 referrals as well as full contact details including your mobile phone number and Skype ID. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Only candidates whose background fits the above profile will be contacted for a phone interview.
AlphaMundi is a commercial firm established in 2008, based in Switzerland, and fully dedicated to Impact Investing, with a focus on poverty reduction and environmental preservation in developing countries. Since 2009, AlphaMundi has invested in 25 social businesses across 15 countries in Latin America and Africa.
Since 2012, AlphaMundi has been investing through its impact debt fund SocialAlpha-Bastion in innovative early- and growth-stage social businesses in East Africa. It currently manages a portfolio of 10 ventures, primarily in solar energy and smallholder agriculture, and intends to expand its regional portfolio and activities further in the following years.
In recent years, AlphaMundi has managed strategic collaborations with key stakeholders of the regional SME and Impact Investing ecosystem, such as Open Capital Africa, IDEV, and USAID.
We are also in the process of forming a new impact mezzanine fund focused exclusively on East Africa, scheduled for launch in 2017
Since 2015, AlphaMundi has built a local team of 2 full-time investment professionals and a communications manager in Nairobi. To match its increasing investment activities in the region, AlphaMundi plans to double its Nairobi team size by spring 2018, starting with the hiring of an additional investment analyst as of July 2017.
For more information, please refer to www.alphamundi.ch.