About the Job
The Global Investment Officer will report to the COO and be responsible for growing our loan portfolio. This entails sourcing, screening, leading and maintaining relationships and leading transactions with beyond the grid solar companies in emerging markets. The position will be preferably based in Nairobi, but we are also open to candidates in EU (Amsterdam, Paris, London; 2nd choice) or Washington DC.
- Lead lending transactions and relationships with solar company borrowers in emerging markets, including origination, project and company due diligence, loan structuring, negotiation, execution. Bring deals to a close under tight timelines
- Prepare investment memorandums (working alongside credit analysts) and present the deal to the credit committee.
- Maintain high quality relationships with customers for portfolio monitoring purposes and to ensure we cater to their scaling needs.
- Have an ear for the market to effectively contribute to our growth strategy and portfolio targets.
- Build partnerships with potential customers and develop new business by exploring new markets and segments.
- Represent SunFunder at international industry conferences on a quarterly basis.
- Develop new solar lending products to meet our customers’ and the sector’s evolving financing needs.
We offer a competitive compensation package including equity, generous benefits, a unique work culture for an ambitious startup that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance, and an opportunity to work with a fun, passionate and talented international team.
- A passion for what we do.
- Proven track record of at least 5 years in leading, structuring, negotiation and executing debt investments in the financial and energy sectors. Previous experience in credit analysis a plus.
- Have lived and worked in emerging economies, particularly East or West africa and experience working with a multi-cultural team.
- A willingness to travel to markets where you are sourcing and executing deals (20-35% depending on where you are based).
- Understanding of early stage and/or renewable energy businesses, residential and commercial solar energy business models, and project/asset finance structures.
- Demonstrated hunger for closing deals.
- Proven track record of making things happen in an entrepreneurial environment, willing to challenge the way we’re doing things, “get your hands dirty” and perform unglamorous roles from time to time, and ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment.
- SunFunder is a distributed team. As such, it is most important that you are someone who over communicates, is highly organized and results-oriented, is self-motivated and self-disciplined, exhibits high emotional intelligence (great listening) and is willing and able to learn new tech tools/ systems.
- Other qualities that are important to us include: a positive attitude, intellectual curiosity, possesses a low-ego and a good sense of humor.
Please email your resume to: email@example.com. In the email, please tell us why you are the right person for this job (bonus points for brevity).
Email title: “Global Investment Officer”.
SunFunder is a solar finance business driving a global energy transformation to solve energy access and climate change.
SunFunder specializes in financing solar assets through scalable inventory, working capital and structured finance loans. We have deep solar market expertise, an efficient due diligence process and strong customer partnerships. We offer investors diversified, high-impact, fixed income products based on portfolios of emerging market solar investments.
Since 2012, we have unlocked $40 million and impacted 2.5 million people in 12 countries while maintaining a default rate under 1%.